1. San Francisco, USA: With some 177 merchants that accept bitcoins and 29 bitcoin ATMs, this tops the list.
2. Vancouver, Canada: Bitcoin has an active community in Canada, which was the first country to sign an official law that regulates virtual currency.
3. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Amsterdam is home to the top bitcoin startup companies, including BitFury and BitPay.
4. Ljubljana, Slovenia: The great bitcoin exchange Bitstamp is based in Ljubljana.
5. Tel Aviv, Israel: The Israel Bitcoin Meetup Group in Tel Aviv is among the most active in the world with 1,785 members.
6. Zurich, Switzerland. The largest city in Switzerland and a major financial centre, Zurich has 64 merchants who accept bitcoins and eight ATMs serving a population of 366,000.
7. Tampa, USA: The city of Florida, with 352,000 inhabitants, has 93 surprising merchants who accept bitcoins, more than most of the largest cities in the United States and 13 bitcoin ATMs.
8. Buenos Aires, Argentina: In a country famous for the currency crisis, bitcoin has received a warm welcome so far.
9. New York, USA: The financial and technological centre is home to Coinsetter, a bitcoin startup “built by Wall Street”.
10. London, U.K: The Bitcoin Meetup group in London is currently the largest in the world with 2,311 members.